Monday, January 18, 2016

Let It Snow

Snow is one of the worst things to walk in, to drive in, and to even think of. But one of the plus sides about the snow is (not only the cancelation of school) seeing people playing outside in the snow. I know before I started working at fourteen, I was one of those people. I always loved playing out in the cold, but I hated the process of stripping out of my frozen clothes and trying to warm up. My skin being so cold that any touch to my body I would squeal like a pig and most likely swing at you. That is a warning!

The first snow fall this year wasn’t nearly excited to me than when I was younger, and I think it is because I now know the consequences of ice and its trickery. Driving at night is my weakness, but when it's dark and snow is quickly falling and building up on the road, do NOT put me behind the wheel. I have been making my mom take the wheel while I sit in the passenger seat and read. I don’t think my driving skills are yet advanced enough for me to even dream about driving in the snow.

Tonight while I had the advantage to watch my surroundings on the way home, I realized that there were a lot more people outside and I made a comment to my mother. I said, “How come people think it is fun to walk in dark clothes while it’s snowing?” and then I realized it was a small family, a mother, and a father, and what seemed to be their twins (who looked about two years old). They were out on their road throwing snowballs and making snow angels. This was a moment that I had to absorb because I miss the days that we all went out in the snow. We slowly drove by because the road was icy and we didn’t want to chance slipping and squishing the family, and possibly wrecking the car. I waved and thought to myself “They looks so happy,” and they waved back. It was a simple exchange of happiness and it just warmed my night.


I got home and made a cup of hot chocolate and added some marshmallows, lit a candle, and put on some Amy Winehouse. I am just enjoying how you can witness something and make it into something big. I one day want to be that family, playing with our children, tossing snowballs back and forth. This is a moment that I will always remember when I am alone. Sitting at the kitchen table drinking hot chocolate while our cat(s) lie at our feet. I have a slight jealousy problem when I see people are happier than I am, but I always say, things can only get better. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment