Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Coffee Shop Down The Street

       I would have never thought there are so many nice people in Ayer. When I walked into The Union Coffee Roaster downtown, Both the tall scrawny man and the short brunette behind the counter greeted me with a smile. Why did I wait so long before I came in here. I of course greeted them back with the same smile and then I ordered. I requested a mocha coffee muffin and a chai latte.

UNION Coffee Roaster - Ayer, MA, United States

      When I sat by the window, it was so relaxing. They have a nice little flower bed in each window. The flower beds where filled with many beautiful little pink flowers. The sun shining on them made such a mesmerizing picture. Although Ayer probably isn't the view you want to see while sipping on a morning coffee, They create a beautiful juxtaposition with cute flowers and and an unpleasant background of a brick building.



      While I was in NY, my cousin taught me that listening into peoples conversations was fun while your alone. And, sometimes it will brighten up your whole day. Listening to the regulars coming into the cafe and talking to the owners of the shop, was very interesting. I heard one lady talking about how she just got back from Africa. She was there helping kids who don't have parents. There was also one man who was working on his computer and he kept talking to himself. He was typing pretty fast and he kept cussing. Then would slam his pointer finger onto his backspace key on his keyboard. Then out of no where this kid, maybe about 14, walked in and sat himself across from the man and pulled out his phone. The kid sat there for a good 20 minuetes. Then I started listening into the kid, except he wasn't even talking. He was sitting there with his headphones in and all of a sudden I was horrified. I looked up and this kids fingure is knuckle deep into his nose! I then gagged on my latte. He sat there for a good 5 minutes. He looked so concentrated on getting whatever it was, out! Gross!

      Then the cutest thing happened (No it does not involve the nasty kid who has not yet grown out of his childhood). A man, about 30, walked in with his daughter. She looked to be about 3 or 4. I quickly shot the little cutie a smile and then went back to my writing and drinking my chai. Then I heard the little girl ask the nice lady behind the counter for a small hibiscus iced tea. I assume she has been here before, if she knows that word and how to order it herself! and then she said thank you to the lady and went and sat with her father.

      When I turned around to get back to my business I heard her father say something, but I didn't hear what he said. Next thing I knew, he was tapping me on my shoulder. I had my book laying on the single seated table that I was sitting at and he said to me "I see you are reading The accidental tourist by Anne Tyler". I didn't know what to say so I quickly replied "Yes, I just started reading it yesterday, on my way home from NY". He then asked how my trip was and I told him all about The Strand Bookstore and he told me that The Strand is one of his favorite bookstore.

      It is amazing because, after all this time of telling myself I would go into that coffee shop, I was worried that it wasn't worth my time. That it would just be another fancy place that only wanted your money. But really, the people don't judge! They are just like me. Their just looking for business and human interaction.
I will definitely take more time out of my day to go and write there while snacking on something.

      I want to thank Lisa Rosman. She is the reason why I got up today and went into the shop. She was telling me that maybe I should write down all of my observations of New York before they disappered from my brain. And then she told me that maybe it would be nice to go and check out the coffee shop that I told her about.

                                                        Thank you for reading and I have more to come!
                                                               Jean-Paul

1 comment:

  1. So glad you checked out that coffee shop. it's like you took us all with you!

    ReplyDelete