Friday, August 21, 2015

Welcome to New York

    I have grown up in small towns like Ayer and Shirley basically my whole life. But, I feel my heart desires bigger. NYC is the place for me. 
      When I visited my cousin in Brooklyn this past Monday, I fell in love with the city before I even got off the bus. 
Immediately after the bus ride, my cousin showed me around part of the city. 
     
       Some of the things we did when I arrived are:
       Rickis- When we went into Rickis, the women where really nice. We had to ask where the shampoo that my cousin uses was. Come to find out we had passed right by it when we walked into the store.
    Japanese Store- My first Japanese store in NY was just a stop so we could hydrate (and secretly get some AC due to the climate being over 90 degrees and the busses AC crashed an hour out of the city). I got a pomegranate aloe water that was absolutely to die for.
    The Strand Book Store- Home to 18 miles of books: I absolutely love book stores. The closest bookstore to me is Barnes and Noble, which thought was big. When I entered The Strand, I literally had a heart failure. I only purchased two books while I was there: I bought Anne Tyler’s The Accidental Tourist which I started reading on the bus on the way home. The other book that I bought was The Element of style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B white. Both books my intelligent cousin introduced me too. 


    Enchantments- Lisa brought me to my first witch store. This is where I met her best-friend Michelle. Here I explored the many different types of tarot cards and candles. Michelle was so kind. She gave me a discounted candle that she had carved for me.


    Dog Park- My cousin Lisa and I stopped at a park where I saw a section only for dogs to run and play. Although it smelt like dog urine, It was such a great experience. Again, do to the weather most of the dogs where in hiding beneath the shade.

    Dancing Puppets-(I cant believe I am saying this)There was a man on the sidewalk who was playing, what I believe was Michael Jackson music. But, instead of the man dancing to the music, he was controlling a marionette puppet. I believe the puppet was a better dancer than I will ever be.

    Farmers Market- We stopped at the farmers market so we could get some greens,cucumber and tomatoes for dinner. It was such a cool experience because it was the biggest farmers market that I have ever been to. There was such a crowd of people.
    My first subway ride in NYC- When I got to NY, my cousin and I dropped my bag off into a locker at her gym. After we did all of our errands, we got my bag and headed to the subway platforms. Lisa handed me my first metro card. She was so kind, she had already added $20 dollars on to the card.


    Getting to Lisa apartment- When we got home, before we even thought of doing anything, we sprawled out on to Lisa’s bedroom rug and just started talking. Finally getting to cool down.
We then decided maybe we should do something productive.
    First coffee shop other thank Dunkin Donuts- After we laid on her floor for about an hour, we walked to a cozy little coffee place that is right down the street from her Brookland apartment. I was dying for a hazelnut coffee. Little did I know, New Yorkers don’t drink flavored coffees. OOPS! I ended up drinking an iced coffee with chocolate added along with cream and sugar.
    Cooking dinner with Lisa- Lisa and I really did not feel like cooking. But, we knew we had to because we had to eat! We made Polenta with local mozerella and sausage, and a roasted tomato-eggplant-basil-hot pepper sauce with chopped parsley. 

Lisa’s baby, Grace the perma-kitty, watched from the other room. She is such a cutie!


    Last but not least, We attempted to watch apple TV- After a long day of walking, talking and shopping, we decided that we would lay back,relax and enjoy a movie. Well, with all the magic in the air, apple TV would no cooperate. It finally started working after an hour and a couple Patsy Cline songs. But, 10 minutes of watching the movie and we both couldn’t keep our eyes open.




                To Be Continued......

        Thank you so much for reading and I have more to come!
                    Jean-Paul Dube

1 comment:

  1. This was so much fun to read! Can't wait for the next post, rockstar. AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY

    ReplyDelete