Friday, September 4, 2015

Getting My Driver's Permit

When I heard my alarm go off at 6:00 am, I was not a happy camper. Then I remembered what I had to do so early in the morning: I was going to get my driving permit.
 I just wanted to be able to hold the permit in my hands and be able to drive legally. I was so scared that I would fail the test. Not to mention, in order to take the test, I had to pay $30, Which wouldn’t be refunded if I failed. Luckily, I had support from My sister Missi and her boyfriend Matt.

Before we went to the registry, my older sister had a doctor's  appointment that ran a little late. She wasn’t that happy about the delay since it meant the line at the registry would be very long. Luckily, we weren’t at the doctor's office for that long. They took blood work and we were in and out in about an hour."

When we got to the registry, the line really was long.  While waiting, I met a sweet older woman. She had reddish/brown curly hair, big black sunglasses, and just happened to be a driving teacher. When I told her that I was going for my permit, she said, “If you have any driving questions, just ask me, honey." So I did ask a bunch of questions, and she told me that I would be all right. She calmed my nerves a little bit.

When we got In, the man at the desk was older. He was hard of hearing and I thought I was going to lose my voice while trying to be heard.  He gave me number C107. I thought to myself, “great, I just saw C102, it won’t be long". But an hour later..... I was still sitting there. A little girl was sitting next to me on the bench. I saw her in the line outside; she and her family must have been there forever. I felt so bad because she looked miserable. She gave me a face like, “Get me out of here... NOW!" It was getting later and later and I just wanted to plop myself in front of my computer. Then out of nowhere, the numbers all switched under the category letter “C." I think it was because my guides were getting impatient with my negative thoughts about failing so they bumped me up a notch.

My number got called and I headed to desk 3. The lady was big and blonde.  I gave her a smile and in return she gave me attitude. Listen, I thought, I was trying to be a polite teenager. You aren’t the only one who doesn’t want to be up this early! I think it was because my mom wasn’t there with me.  The woman was upset because my mom forgot to check off a box that verifies that she is my mother. Really lady!? It’s a box! So, I checked it off myself and handed it back to her. After she read all my info on the paper she still spelled my name wrong! This lady needed to wake up and smell the coffee. She gave me instructions on what to do if I passed but I kind of tuned her out because at that point I wanted her to be sent home.

I headed to the testing room and sat down. There were four computers aligned against one wall. I took the one closest to the left. Luckily I was the only one in there. That made it easier for me to concentrate. I felt like an idiot because the lady told me that, when I typed in my entry code, there would be an S but I could not find the S on the screen. Stupid me, it was right beneath the zero on the key pad. The computers were touch screen, which I found kind of neat.
I took the test which was easier than I thought it would be. When I completed it, I had to return to the malevolent ladies desk. Luckily the lady next to her saved the day. She called me over and asked if I passed. I said “ I think so.” I was in shock.

It makes me feel good to be able to drive around my mom now. She likes it.  And, the hardest part is, she has a standard. I picked up driving it in less than a week. Sure, I still stall here and there but I am definitely good for a beginner. And that is not me telling myself that I am good. Matt, Missi and my mom all compliment me every time I drive. That makes me feel really great about myself.

 I want to thank Missi and Matt for bringing me to the registry. I feel bad that we spent the whole day waiting to take the test but you guys have made it very clear that you didn’t mind bringing me and that you’re  excited to be chauffeured around.

Thank you for reading and I have to more come!
                                                  Jean-Paul

2 comments:

  1. i love it. watch out, world! jp's on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The compliments are well earned JP. Your ability to drive a standard as well as you are doing is really amazing. Keep up the good work sir!

    ReplyDelete