Sunday, November 15, 2015

New York For a Day

As I have mentioned in many posts before, New York City is definitely one of my favorite places to visit. And although I haven't been there much, it always feels like home. This past Sunday, I went to NYC with my friend Nadia and her mother. We walked to the point our legs felt like noodles and our pedometers read almost 30,000 steps. We walked through Central Park before meeting up with one of the most inspiring people in my life, Lisa Rosman at a coffee shop name Fika, where we had Swedish coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, I being the child that will never grow up was the one who got the hot chocolate. Lisa showed us some more of Central Park while Nadia got to know Lisa a little bit more than me bragging about her impact on my life.

After we strolled through Central Park for half an hour, we decided it was time to head to the theater that was at 256 W 47th St, where we would see the musical "Spring Awakening" a German play about teenagers (including the deaf) who are insanely curious about sex. But before we went to the theater, we had to stop and get a little snack for intermission, so what is better that getting a couple of cupcakes from the famous Magnolia Bakery that was in the movie Sex In the City. The cupcake was delicious. I tried the red velvet cupcake with purple frosting.
Sadly we had to depart from Lisa before we went into the show because she had lots of work to do back in Williamsburg. Before we said goodbye, we took some pictures and said our farewells.

We had a fantastic time at the show with a bit of surprise nudity and during intermission we got to enjoy our miniature cakes and Nadia was sweet enough to buy me a shirt that says "Spring Awakening" on the front.

We went to the restaurant TGI Fridays after the show because we were starving and we decided it would be nice to sit down and have a meal together. So we got a waiter who was either very busy with all other customers or he just couldn't admit he was wrong when I specifically ordered strawberry iced tea, and he brought me a glass of water.  Other than the waiter with such negativity, we had some good laughs and a good time trying to make it up three flights of stairs to use the bathrooms before we started walking the streets of New York for another couple of hours.
After we ate, we ended up walking around more of the city that I didn’t get to see when I visited Lisa back in August. We went into many little shops including a Christmas shop where the greeted us with a joyful “merry Christmas!” I am not really in the Christmas mood yet, but this was fun to see in the middle of November. I also got leave an uneaten cupcake on the sidewalk for someone who needed the calories more than I did.


We finally decided we should start heading back to the bus station, as it was getting a little chilly to be sitting on a bench outside a little convenient store while taking a break. We sat at the bus station for nearly two hours. Nadia’s mom had drifted asleep while waiting and Nadia and I must have been making too much noise that she finally decided that she wanted a coffee and went up to get some from Dunkin Donuts. While she was gone, Nadia and I had been fooling around with her mom’s new neck pillow she bought because her neck was bothering her on the ride to the city. We put it around our heads and took a bunch of selfies. I guess that is what you get for having two crazed teenagers in the same place after being up for almost 20 hours.


I had such a fantastic time with Nadia and her mom who paid for all the expenses while out. I want to thank Lisa for taking time out of her day to meet someone who I thought she would never meet. Nadia was so happy that she got to meet Lisa and her exact words were “your cousin is so cool!” I love the people who I have chosen to surround myself with. They bring such happiness and positivity to my life it’s unbelievable. And last but not least, I loved that I got to visit the city again. I hope that I can go again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment